Questions and Answers
- Why should I donate blood?
- What information a blood donor needs to provide at the time of blood donation?
- Do I need to take any medication before donating blood?
- What is a ‘Blood Donor Card’?
- What are the main functions of the blood?
- What elements make up blood?
- What is hematopoiesis?
- Where does hematopoiesis occur?
What are the main functions of the blood?
Blood is a means of substance transportation throughout the body. Blood distributes nutrients, oxygen, hormones, antibodies and cells specialized in defense to tissues and collects waste such as nitrogenous wastes and carbon dioxide from them.